Thursday, September 1, 2011

General Reflection: Independent Research - Creation and Capturing of Antimatter

I would like to share with everyone my reflection on the independent research that I have done regarding the recent breakthrough of Science whereby scientists managed to capture antimatter. Firstly, I started having a very keen interest on antimatter around the start of the year when I attended a sabbatical that taught us about it. I realised that antimatter was a very powerful yet extremely dangerous substance. It is a substance that when come in contact with normal matter, they would both destroy each other completely in powerful explosions. This is also one of the reason why it was a fantastic scientific breakthrough when scientists managed to capture this particular substance, because Earth itself and almost everything on it is considered normal matter.
After researching further on antimatter, I found out that one droplet of antimatter could power the entire New York city for a month, however I also researched that the power to create that amount of antimatter with current scientific knowledge and limitations, would keep New York City itself going for a billion years. Therefore I reflected that if research were to continue and we reach a whereby it is much easier to produce antimatter, it could be interesting as it might be an alternate source for energy, and I eagerly wonder what it would be like when our Earth would be supported by the energy from antimatter.
Finally, my only is that I would live to see that day and time when it happens, and for now I shall just let my imagination run wild think of the amazing stuff that would take place at that point of time.
Reference - http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/11/17/breakthrough-mysterious-antimatter-created-captured/


No comments:

Post a Comment